Sunday, July 6, 2008

Inertia

-Inertia is the enemy of change, whether it be through routine, golden handcuffs, or laziness. It must be fought.

-Fourth of July is an awesome holiday. I thought I'd be unhappy to be in Montana on account of the astronomical flight costs for this holiday, but it's turned out to be pretty great. The Fourth consisted of beer, grilling, croquet, badminton, fireworks, family time, and a great show. We bought some amazing fireworks, including one doozy called "Shock and Awe" that boasted 500 g of gunpowder. That shit went crazy. After the elder family members went to sleep, Eric and I drove into town and saw The Dodos, who are a sick indie band by the way, live in a bar that maybe held 75 people. It was amazing. My first legal drink with my newly anointed 21 year old brother and a great, intimate show in the same evening. The band led a drunken rendition of the national anthem (Happy birthday, America) that involved the whole bar and much more. Overall though, I'm glad to just be in Montana. It's beautiful, it's peaceful, and it's so much different than California. Not necessarily better, but different. Sometimes it takes a change like this to spur an internal one.

-Millers Crossing - Pretty good little gangster flick. I watched it with my brother this evening and although it's not one of the Cohen brothers' finest films, it's very good. I love the gangster spin in a small town and I really enjoyed a lot of the dynamics in this film. Very much a Cohen production, but very worth seeing. It drove me crazy the whole time trying to figure out who Marcia Gay Harden is and what I remembered her from until I was able to IMDB her after the flick. I remember her as the religious nut in "The Mist", the movie with perhaps one of the top 5 darkest endings ever. Which I always respect.

No comments: