Monday, October 13, 2008

The Highs and Lows of Professional Sports

I've really enjoyed watching the Dodgers this year. Joe Torre is a consummate professional and has been a fantastic manager. My dad has questioned if Joe is worth the money, but I asked in return, "How much are those 15-20 games you are winning because he subs pitchers the right way and is smart with his line-ups worth? He's a huge upgrade over Grady Little or Jim Tracy, trust me.

I had tickets for game 4 of the Cubs series, I've never been happier to miss a game. For the NLCS, I was fortunate enough to get tickets to games 3 and 4, which were essentially must wins after dropping the first two in Philly. I've never been to a playoff game outside of NCAA basketball (when I trailed UCLA to the Final Four, which was incredible) and Dodgers games have an electric atmosphere already. Game 3 didn't disappoint, it was one of the best live experiences I've had a long time.

It had everything. Brush-backs, beanings, retalliations, and a near-brawl. The Dodgers offense was impressive and it's pitching was clutch. The first three innings were incredible, and then the Dodgers sailed comfortably to the win as the crowd relaxed. I left the game with a huge smile on my face.

Game 4, unfortunately, went the other direction. Both teams pitched impressive games until the 6th, when the Dodgers took control. Alas, it was the story of botched opportunties- a double play with bases loaded and one out, a failed stolen base-and untimely mistakes. Although the Dodgers charged ahead at one point, 2 2 run HR from mediocre Phillies in the 8th buried us and the oxygen rushed from the crowd. It was really over at that point, although the Dodgers still had 6 outs left.

Although it looks like the series is over, going to two games in the NLCS was pretty epic. The Dodgers haven't been this good since I was a kid. The last time they were in the NLCS I was 4. You have to go to these games, you just have to. Sometimes they are amazing, memorable experiences like game 3 and sometimes you pay for the privilege of getting your heart broken. But the great memories, the memories of watching championships with your dad are the ones you will talk about in 30 years and they are important to have. You have to take a chance, and sometimes it doesn't pan out. Oh well. Good times.

No comments: